We are a relatively small organisation, employing a small visitor services team with seasonal staff in the cafe, shop and gate and just ten full time animal keepers. All our keepers are required to have, or to be training towards, an appropriate zoo animal management qualification. If you are interested in working in zoos you can download this PDF which may give you some useful websites.
The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS) owns and manages Edinburgh Zoo and the Highland Wildlife Park. Both parks are premier visitor attractions, offering visitors an excellent day out. The Highland Wildlife Park is located in the Cairngorms National Park, 7 miles south of Aviemore.
Work placements and research at Highland Wildlife Park
Unfortunately we are not accepting any applications for work placements or research for the remainder of 2020 due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation. In addition, we have not yet made a decision as to whether we will be offering work placements or research opportunities in 2021. Please keep an eye on this page from January 2021 onwards, where updates will be posted.
- British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums www.biaza.org.uk
- European Association of Zoos and Aquaria www.eaza.net
- Zoolex Zoo Design Organisation www.zoolex.org
Conservation Organisations and Wildlife Trusts
- John Muir Trust www.johnmuiraward.org
- The Mammal Society www.mammal.org.uk
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds www.rspb.org
- Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals www.scottishspca.org
- Scottish Natural Heritage www.snh.org.uk
- Scottish Wildlife Trust www.swt.org.uk
- Deer UK website www.deer-uk.com
- British Deer Society www.bds.org.uk
- International Otter Survival Fund www.otter.org